Saturday 29 March 2014

P90X3 MMX Review

As I near the last few weeks of my amazing P90X3 journey I thought I would share a bit of a review of the variety of workouts that I have done throughout the (almost) 90 days. 

Today we did the MMX workout. So I figured that would be a great place to start. MMX is a tough workout, gets the heart rate up, gets the sweat pouring, and it is FUN (in a want to curse at Tony Horton challenging kind of way).


MMX simply refers to mixed marital arts X style. Tony Horton is joined by three kick ass others and they bring you a high intensity workout that has you doing some pretty neat things. There is a great combo of kicking, punching, throwing elbows, sprawls and more.

Now I have tried to do this style of workout before. I once punched myself in the face doing Tae Bo. I have done some Les Mills Combat (also a lot of fun) but have always found difficulty in remembering the combos. Something about the choreography of martial arts really messes me up. But I've been determined to do my best so I go hard. While I still trip myself up every so often I am getting better every time (practice makes perfect eh?). They are starting to feel more natural and less like I'm just punching in thin air.

A few of my favourite moves from this are the gladiator (a jump and kick and slam down combination), superman punch (a jump punch), a jab cross knee combo. There are many more but those are just at the top of the list. I'd love to catch some of my moves on video just to see how silly I look.

The toughest parts are the sprawls. Like throwing burpees into your combo routine. They always slow me down. And like in many of the P90X3 workouts there is a burnout which has a lot of those danged sprawls.

Cardio and strength aside I also really like the feeling of power it gives me. When I kick I KICK. When I uppercut I UPPERCUT. When I was a kid I used to play mortal combat on N64. I get to feel like I am my favourite characters. ORCHID. T T T TJ COMBO.

On Sundays I always do a workout from Body Gospel and then Dynamix (from X3). When Dynamix is all fresh in my head tomorrow I'll give a run down of that one.

If you would like to try your hand at P90X3 be sure to add me as your FREE COACH so I can help you through the process with my own personal experience.

One last fun fact! Alice in the blue top is a Hollywood stunt double who actually did stunt work in place of Kristen Stewart in Twilight (I'm a bit of a Twihard so I was pretty pumped about this fact).

No comments:

Post a Comment