Wednesday 19 February 2014

My Workout Video Collection (Plus an Important Note)

When someone asks me how I lost 101 lbs I always say something like "oh you know, I got exercise and ate healthy". I thought it would be fun to share though EXACTLY what I did in the exercise portion of that equation.



Yes folks. This is EXACTLY the collection of DVDs that I personally used to get myself from fat to fit. To get myself from 250 lbs to 149 lbs. 

So let me break it down a bit more:


1. 30 Day Shred 3X
2. Ripped in 30 4X
3. 30 Day Shred 1X 
4. Ripped in 30 2X 
5. Shred It With Weights 1X
6. Extreme Shed and Shred 1X
7. Shred It With Weights 2X


8. Three months of Jackie Warner Power Circuits with Shred It With Weights, Yoga Meltdown and Jennifer Nicole Lee's program off Bodybuilding.com (alternated them all)




Following Les Mills Pump I did a month of random workouts from my collection just ensuring I did a workout each day. 


10. I started January 2014 with P90X3 and am currently almost 60 days through!! 

So there it is. From the day I started the 30 Day Shred and stuck with it, and gradually moved on to different programs, until now is 22 months. 

To add as well, once I am done P90X3 that doesn't mean my road ends. Once you start you can never quit or all that work is lost. I am always thinking 3-5 months in advance, what am I going to do. In my case after P90X3 I am going to do a few rounds of the 21 Day Fix, followed by some Brazil Butt Lift, and then possibly make my move into Body Beast. 

When I tell people that they need to add fitness into their lives the usual response turns to getting a gym membership (that collects dust) or going to a few yoga classes a week, or buying a treadmill (that ends up as a clothes hanger). I'm not knocking yoga or jogging on their own of course, they have their merits. But I do want to discuss two things: 

FREQUENCY AND CONSISTENCY

Physical fitness HAS to be a daily occurring activity. Two to three times a week is not enough. You have to do it frequently and consistently. Daily exercise keeps you progressing, dabbling just keeps you stuck where you are. Every time I redid a program I also increased my weights and pushed for greater range of motion. You will only progress as much as you allow yourself to. 

Frequency and consistency are reasons why I encourage at home DVD programs more than anything else. The majority of people need the trainer aspect, the music, the encouragement. I have done printed off workouts and put it to an iPod playlist but it is just not the same. 

Frequency and consistency are also much easier to attain from home. The more effort you have to put into your fitness the easier it is to shelve it. With at home DVDs all you have to do is press play. There is no driving to the gym, requiring kid care, cost of gym passes. It is a lot easier to say "I'm not going to workout today" when it is -30, you have to lug kids in the car, drive there, show up, then pack back up, drive home, etc. etc.

I lost all my weight without stepping foot into a gym. You seriously do not need that equipment. You don't need the treadmill. You don't need the elliptical. You don't need the fancy weight machines. All you need at home at most is a yoga matt, a few dumbbells, and YOU. What would take you closer to 2 hours at the gym all time factors included you can literally do in 30 minutes at home, imagine what you can do now with that extra 1 1/2 hours. 

Keep frequency and consistency in mind at all times in relation to your health and fitness. What you do on a regular basis is what will determine your outcome. 

Stay frequent, stay consistent, and keep Rockin'! 




No comments:

Post a Comment