Wednesday 22 March 2017

Five Steps to Starting Your Transformation

You see the before and afters. You think it's easy for them but you can't. You think you don't have the time. You think that it's too hard. I'm here to tell you that YOU ARE WRONG!!! You CAN! You DO! It's NOT! The only difference between them and you is that they started doing these FIVE steps and you can do them too!

Have a Strong Why

Having a strong why is a really important part of the process. You have to ask yourself why is it that you want to lose weight. Is it a good enough reason? It is strong enough to push you forward when you reeeeaaaaally don't want to do that workout or want to eat that pastry? For some this answer comes right away (like seeing a picture they were tagged in on Facebook) and for others it takes a little more time to come up with something concrete. Sometimes it's also a combination of many things. 

For me, I had to be real with myself. I was seriously overweight (over 270 lbs) and had to face the music. I was tired of leaving changing rooms empty handed and eyes full of tears. Plus I was physically tired from dragging around all that excess weight! 



I wanted to live a full and active life and when I was honest with myself my weight was totally getting in the way of that! 

Ditch the Excuses

Tough love time. I guarantee you that for EVERY excuses you have there is someone out there that is busier, in more pain, in a worse situation than you. And THEY ARE DOING IT!!! I have seen people in wheelchairs doing P90X for crying out loud!! 

 Quit lying to yourself. I'm not saying that you aren't busy or have shit going on, but I am telling you that you have to set that mentality aside. Seriously. If everyone was soooo busy then how do television shows have so many ratings, hmmmm?? 

Just my own personal story...I have 3 kids...I run a thriving coaching business...I am a university student...I am a musician...I travel...BUT I STILL DO IT!!!! Working out at home makes this totally possible!! I do super effective 30 minute workouts and I'm done. I don't have to drive anywhere. I don't have to worry about childcare. I don't have to schedule around a class. My transformation on MY time. And I know 100s of women who are busier than me and are making that appointment with themselves! 

Also, forget the idea that eating healthy is time consuming, difficult, and expensive. That is a total load of crap the food industry tries to sell you. There are so many healthy eating hacks out there! Instead of wasting time pinning desserts and workouts you'll never do on Pinteterst, look for healthy eating tips, read blogs like mine ;), take an hour on a Sunday and meal prep! These things will SAVE you time!! 

Find Accountablity

No woman is an island. We don't have to do things alone!!! Surprisingly it's not the starting part that is really all that hard. That first week, you're in the honeymoon phase of your diet or workout program. There is a novelty to it. But after that?? THAT is when it gets hard! THAT is when people check out. Starting is easy, keeping going is hard, and maintaining after is even harder! 


YOU NEED ACCOUNTABILITY!!! When I lost 100 lbs I had an accountability group the whole way through! That is one of the reasons that I am SO passionate about running accountability groups now! BECAUSE IT WORKS!!! You need a place to share the struggles and the victories!! 


Quit Buying Junk

Sorry but not sorry. If you buy it, you're going to eat it. If it's not in the house then you can't eat it right? Have kids?  They're just going to have to suck it up. Mamma ain't buying that no mo. Besides, if it's not good for you what would you give it to them? Will there be resistance? Hahaha, ya. But they're kids, they're resilient, they'll survive, and then there is always therapy (save your junk food money for that, lol). 

Reality though, 80% of your transformation will come from what you eat! EIGHTY PERCENT!!! That's huge! I can't count the number of times that I hear about women KILLING it at the gym and then blowing that whole workout on the smoothie they grab after. We are constantly over estimating how much we burn during our workout and then underestimating how much we are eating. 

When you're eating REAL WHOLE HEALTHY food your stomach won't have room for junk food anyways. Save those treat meals for ACTUAL special occasions. Don't go out to eat "just because". Don't fall into the moderation trap either, moderation is a widely overused and misunderstood phrase.

Please know I'm not a total food nazi. There are times that call for chocolate or treats. But I don't keep ice cream in my freezer or chips in the cupboard. And I do promise you that after time your tastebuds change and things you thought you couldn't live without before taste nasty now.  


Track Everything

We are people of the 21st century. We have a billion thoughts going through our heads each and every day. Do you really think you're going to remember what you had for breakfast when you're trying to decide on supper or an evening snack? I certainly don't and I am known for having a pretty fab memory. 

So track!!! Everything. You bite it you write it. Track you workouts. Track your water. All of it. Thankfully another gift of the 21st century is the creation of smart phones and apps! I used a tracking app and it keeps me totally in line. I know that if I had 3 servings of carbs earlier in the day then I'm just going to have to forgo the rice at supper, or that handful of nuts I had as an afternoon snack means no cheese with my apple. These little things matter because all the calories add up! And just being over a bit every day will lead to weight gain instead of weight loss. And yes, you can 100% gain weight eating healthy, there is still too much of a good thing!! I can make an amazing paleo fudge but I can't eat the whole pan ;) 


For more awesome tips and to follow my journey be sure to find me on Facebook! 

No comments:

Post a Comment