Wednesday 21 May 2014

Coconut Flour Chicken Bites

I really should learn by now that if I am going to post a food pic on Facebook or Instagram that I should already have the recipe on my blog. 

Trouble is though that I make just a lot of stuff on the fly. I know enough kitchen tricks and have enough skillz that I have a general idea of how something is going to turn out. Sometimes I'll start off with a legit recipe from a book and will often just say get the book, lol. Then over time I'll fiddle with the recipe until I've made it my own. More of this, less of that, kind of thing.

These chicken bites are something that I cobbled together. Normally I used a paleo chicken finger recipe that I adapted off of another blog (get the original here) but I didn't have chicken breast or arrowroot flour.

It seems though some of the best things though just seem to happen. They were GREAT!





Coconut Flour Chicken Bites

8-10 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk (dairy, almond, coconut)
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 almond flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
black pepper to taste
1 cup lard

-Cut the chicken breasts into bite size-ish pieces - that's a technical term by the way ;)
-Put the lard into a large high walled frying pan, melt, and bring to temperature
-Beat the eggs and milk together
-Put the chicken pieces into the egg and milk mixture
-In a larger bowl mix together the coconut flour, almond flour, sea salt, and black pepper
-Take the kitchen pieces from the egg mix and into the coconut flour mix and toss them around until evenly coated.
-Put 10 pieces or so of chicken into the hot oil at a time, flipping over, until cooked, usually about 5-8 minutes depending on their size. Repeat until all are fried.

**Note: you can add other spices if you like, sometimes I'll do a 1/2 tsp dried basil or parsley, or 1/4 tsp paprika. Play with it to find what you like.



Honey Drill Drizzle

I am a HUGE honey dill fan, fan of sauces in general, but honey dill is perfect for these. Now the regular honey dill has a lot of nasty things in it so I decided to make my own AND use as a drizzle instead of a dip so I was eating WAY less. Win/Win. It's all about the wins!
2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp dried dill

Mix the two together. Using a spoon lightly drizzle over your chicken bites.
See? EASY!

Now you may or may not be wondering about the lard. Yes, I do deep fry these, no, I don't have them multiple times a week. I also choose lard versus vegetable oil or canola oil. I personally prefer to use oils that haven't been highly processed and am a fan of natural animal fats. It's what I rock and how I roll. That being said you could use coconut oil (but I'm too chincy to do that).

Let me know if you try them in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment