Saturday 22 August 2015

My Five Best Weight Loss Tips

When I tell people I lost 100 lbs I usually get asked "how did you do it????". Besides putting in the work every day there are a few things I found myself repeating over and over and over....so I thought it would be great to write a quick post that I can refer people to, and that can be shared. 


My Five Best Weight Loss Tips 


1. Tracking. You HAVE to track in some kind of way. Whenever I am finding the numbers on the scale going back up I can pretty much directly relate it to tracking. It's the accountability. I don't care how you do it, count points, count macros, use My Fitness Pal, whatevs. Just do it!! Right now I am really enjoying using the 21 Day Fix containers. I have done other methods, and they've all had their time in my life, but right now, the containers are working best for me. 

2. Never Skip Breakfast. Before I wised up I would pretty much exist on coffee at my desk until noon at which time I'd grab something from the cafeteria. Bad all around Now I am a breakfast lover.  Eggs are usually the main star. It's easy to pre prep lots of stuff to get a really good breakfast. On days I have to be out of the house EXTRA quick I will grab a quick Shakeology and be on my way. Way better than anything I could grab on the way. 

3. Drink lots of water. If you aren't drinking water then what ARE you drinking? What calories are you taking in without realizing it? I'm also looking at you "diet" drinks. I used to be a Coke Zero addict (like 6 a day!!!!) and just because there are no calories does not mean it's all hunky dory. As a general rule you should be drinking 0.5 - 1 oz of water per lb. I've trained myself to go nowhere without a bottle of water. With so many great bottle options and ideas for flavoured waters it's easy to stay on top of it.  

4. Eat smart. This could really have a post, several in fact, all to itself. But how we eat, where we eat, when we eat. These are ALL things you are going to have to tackle. Avoid waiting too long between meals so that you don't get cranky. Don't eat distracted, in the car, with the TV on. SLOW DOWN. Sit at the table. Savour your food. Chew slower. Start the day right with breakfast, pack your food for the day. Have a meal plan for the week and take into account what you have going on those days but be flexible. Weight loss happens in the kitchen my friends.

5. Exercise. I don't exercise for all the calories it burns. Physically weight loss is 80% food anyways. I exercise for how it makes me feel. And how I feel makes me want to do better, eat better, act better. It's a self esteem cycle thing. I used to see exercise as a punishment for eating. That was a really bad way to see it. Now I view it as a way to reward my body. It doesn't take hours either. I have never once been to a gym!!! All in my own living room baby! 

BONUS: Stop seeking everything for the purpose of "weight loss". Start doing these things for your health and wellbeing. When I weighed over 250 lbs I felt like CRAP! I was out of breath. My body hurt. I had low energy. When I quit looking for quick fix or easy ways out and focused on feeling better the weight loss was a natural part of the process. 

Rock. Lift. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment